Junior Retreat 2012
Schedule | Speakers | Abstracts | Participants | Registration and Funding | Visa advice | Survey
Live Streaming | Video Archive | Local Information | Contact Information | News and Announcements | Photos
The first Junior Retreat for the GEAR network will be held July 23 - August 3, 2012, at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. The Retreat 2012 will immediately follow the Junior Retreat. The purpose of these retreats is to build bridges between the different interest groups in the network -- and more broadly among mathematicians working in areas relating to GEometric structures And Representation varieties.
The Junior Retreat is designed for graduate students and postdocs and has the primary objective of preparing participants to take full advantage of the Retreat 2012. As such, the Junior retreat will focus on providing an introduction to the following five areas:
- Higgs Bundles
- Geometric Structures and Teichmüller Spaces
- Dynamics on Moduli Spaces
- Special Representations
- Hyperbolic 3-manifolds
The Junior Retreat will feature one or two mini-courses on each of these themes; the mini-courses will be supplemented by problem sessions and time for discussion. In addition, there will be shorter research talks given by participants.
REGS minicourses preceding the Summer retreats. For non-UIUC participants, there is limited funding available to attend these minicourses through GEAR. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please let us know how your Junior Retreat experience was by completing this survey http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BP7QBD3.
Join the GEAR page on Google Groups for a message-board discussion of GEAR topics.
Mini-Course speakers: (top of page)
- Jayadev Athreya (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Yves Benoist (Univ. Paris-Sud)
- Steven Bradlow (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Jeffrey Brock (Brown Univ.)
- Marc Culler (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago)
- Olivier Guichard (Univ. Paris-Sud)
- Darren Long (Univ. California, Santa Barbara)
- Karin Melnick (Univ. of Maryland)
Junior speakers: (top of page)
- Sam Ballas (Univ. of Texas at Austin)
- Anja Bankovic (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Emilio Franco (ICMAT-CSIC, Madrid)
- Jonah Gaster (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago)
- Thomas Haettel (Univ. Paris-Sud, Orsay)
- Brice Loustau (Univ. Paris Sud, Orsay)
- Kathryn Mann (Univ. of Chicago)
- Babak Modami (Yale Univ.)
- Andrew Sanders (Univ. of Maryland)
- Nicolas Tholozan (Univ. Nice Sophia Antipolis)
- Tian Yang (Rutgers Univ.)
- Alfonso Zamora (ICMAT-CSIC, Madrid)
Registration and Funding: (top of page)
Please register online for the retreat by clicking here. Registration will remain open until the start of the Retreat but as of July 3 requests for funding are no longer being considered. Late registrants should make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
If you will be reimbursed for more than 9 days of business activity, you need to get one of the following:
- a WB (Waiver for Business) if you are coming from a country that participates in the visa waiver program, or
- a B-1 visa if you are coming from a country that does NOT participate in the visa waiver program.
Both of these are business visas versus tourist visas. You will need to be certain when stating the purpose of your travel that you give a business-type reason. If the immigration officer writes WT on the visa stamp, we will only be able to reimburse for 9 days or less of expenses.
Note: This information should be viewed as a guideline, not as authoritative - final decisions are up to the US Customs and Borders Protection officers.
Local Information: (top of page)
For travel information, please click here.
Accommodations for funded junior members will be provided at the Illinois Street Residence Hall. In addition, rooms have been blocked at the Illini Union Hotel (see accommodations map). Funded junior members choosing to stay at the Illini Union Hotel will be reimbursed at approximately $16/night. Additional places to stay may be found here and here.
Transportation from the Willard Airport (CMI) is available via the Air Bus (schedule, route map). Note that the Transit Plaza and Illini Union are both adjacent to Altgeld Hall. The Amtrak train from Chicago arrives at the Illinois Terminal, connected to campus by the 5Green bus, among others. Express bus service from Chicago airports (as well as other points in the city) is provided by Lincoln Express, Illini Express, Megabus and Greyhound Express.
Organizing Committee: (top of page)
Jeffrey Danciger, Spencer Dowdall, Fanny Kassel, Roberto Rubio
Contact Information: (top of page)
Please send any questions to: email@example.com