Panels | Schedule | Speakers | Abstracts | Participants | Registration and Funding | Visa advice | Photos
Live Streaming | Video Archive | Local Information | Contact Information | News and Announcements | Survey
The first Retreat for the GEAR network will be held August 6 -10, 2012, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
This will be preceded by the Junior Retreat. The Retreat is designed is to build bridges between the different interest groups in the network - and more broadly among mathematicians working in areas relating to GEometric structures And Representation varieties. Each of the five days of the Retreat will feature one of the following themes:
- Higgs Bundles
- Geometric Structures and Teichmüller Spaces
- Dynamics on Moduli Spaces
- Special Representations
- Hyperbolic 3-manifolds
There will be two 50 minute lectures in the morning, with the goal of surveying the state-of-the-art, followed by 3 or 4 shorter research lectures in the afternoon. Recognizing that participants will not be equally well versed in all thematic areas, the program will include "everything you ever wanted to know about (X)" sessions led by each day's experts, as well as open discussions designed to identify emerging issues that might benefit from a multidisciplinary approach.
Please let us know how your Retreat 2012 experience was by completing this
Join the GEAR page on Google Groups for a message-board discussion of GEAR topics.
- Note the location change for the panel discussions: the EYYWTK session (Tuesday) and the panel discussion (Thursday) will both be held in 245 Altgeld Hall.
Speakers (top of page)
- Richard Canary (Univ. of Michigan)
- Daryl Cooper (Univ. of California, Santa Barbara)
- David Dumas (Univ. of Illinois, Chicago)
- Nathan Dunfield (Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign)
- Oscar Garcia-Prada (CSIC, Madrid)
- François Labourie (Univ. Paris-Sud)
- Tony Pantev (Univ. of Pennsylvania)
- John Smillie (Cornell)
- Anna Wienhard (Princeton)
- Howard Masur (Univ. of Chicago)
Invited Research Talks:
- David Aulicino (University of Maryland)
- Ian Biringer (Yale University)
- Jeffrey Danciger (University of Texas at Austin)
- Spencer Dowdall (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Guillaume Dreyer (USC / Notre Dame)
- Alberto Garcia-Raboso (University of Pennsylvania)
- Fanny Kassel (Université Lille 1)
- Michelle Lee (University of Maryland)
- Sara Maloni (University of Warwick)
- Roberto Rubio Nunez (Oxford University)
- Andrew Neitzke (University of Texas at Austin)
- Andres Sambarino (Université Paris Sud, Orsay)
- Tobias Strubel (Princeton University)
- Anastasiia Tsvietkova (Univesity of Tennessee)
- Alex Wright (University of Chicago)
Registration and Funding: (top of page)
Please register online by clicking here. Please register even if you are not applying for funding. Registration will remain open until the start of the Retreat but as of July 3 requests for funding are no longer being considered. Late registrants should make their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
If you will be reimbursed for more than 9 days of business activity, you need to get one of the following:
- a WB (Waiver for Business) if you are coming from a country that participates in the visa waiver program, or
- a B-1 visa if you are coming from a country that does NOT participate in the visa waiver program.
Both of these are business visas versus tourist visas. You will need to be certain when stating the purpose of your travel that you give a business-type reason. If the immigration officer writes WT on the visa stamp, we will only be able to reimburse for 9 days or less of expenses.
Note: This information should be viewed as a guideline, not as authoritative - final decisions are up to the US Customs and Borders Protection officers.
Local Information:(top of page)
For travel information, please click here.
Rooms have been blocked for August 5-11 at the following hotels (see the accommodations map): the Illini Union Hotel, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden, and I-Hotel. Please mention "GEAR" when booking your rooms. Accommodations for funded junior members also visiting for the Junior Retreat will be provided at the Illinois Street Residence Hall. Additional places to stay may be found here and here.
Transportation from the Willard Airport (CMI) is available via the Air Bus (schedule, route map). Note that the Transit Plaza and Illini Union are both adjacent to Altgeld Hall. The Amtrak train from Chicago arrives at the Illinois Terminal, connected to campus by the 5Green bus, among others. Express bus service from Chicago airports (as well as other points in the city) is provided by Lincoln Express, Illini Express, Megabus and Greyhound Express.
Organizing Committee: (top of page)
Jayadev Athreya, Steven Bradlow, William Goldman, Steven Kerckhoff, Christopher Leininger, Richard Wentworth, Anna Wienhard.
Contact Information:(top of page)
Please send any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org